The Development of NPWD
NPWD has been rolled out in a number of phases. Phase one went live on 1 April 2006 and allowed the online submission of quarterly returns by reprocessors and exporters. Phase two went live on the 1 February 2007 and allowed compliance schemes and direct registrants to register with us online. A further major development was in September 2007 which allowed reprocessors and exporters to apply for accreditation online . In spring 2008 extra functionality on monitoring of free-riders was added.
Significant investment took place during 2009 in order to add modules to support the new batteries regulatory regime. This included an on-line payment link for small battery producers as well as registration and approval for those companies affected by the regulations.
NPWD provides the following functionality:
· on-line registration for producers registering directly with an agency
· on-line registration for compliance schemes
· on-line accreditation of packaging reprocessors and exporters
· on-line approval of batteries treatment operators and exporters
· issuing of 'Electronic Packaging Waste Recovery Notes' (ePRNs) and 'Electronic Packaging Waste Export Recovery Notes' (ePERNs)
· issuing of batteries evidence notes
· on-line submission of quarterly returns by schemes, treatment operators, reprocessors and exporters
· electronic statements and certificates of compliance
· compliance monitoring of producers, schemes, reprocessors and exporters by the Agencies
· free-rider monitoring
· public registers and reports.